Monday, December 29, 2008

The Glossy Fad

The Glossy Fad

 

I'm really looking forward to the glossy fad ending.

 

I'm not just talking about glossy LCD displays, which annoy the heck out of many users because of the glare.  I'm talking about glossy bezels, glossy laptop cases, glossy touchpads, glossy handheld gadgets, glossy this, glossy that, and glossy the other thing.

 

Glossy stuff invariably has lots of ugly, greasy, nasty looking fingerprints on it.  Sure, glossy stuff looks really nice...if you never touch it.  In the real world, though, people handle glossy things, and the beauty of the glossy finish is then entirely defeated.  I came to this realization while watching a CNET TV program my TiVo downloads for me weekly.  They show off and demonstrate lots of neat tech gadgets, but the greasy, grimy fingerprints that are always all over their gadgets look really disgusting and distracting.  Yuck.

 

My opinion was reinforced by watching my iPhone / iPod Touch toting co-workers constantly wipe off their screens before using them.

 

So I, for one, really, really look forward to the end of the stupid glossy fad, and hope mankind will eventually look back on the glossy fad with disdain and incredulity that the glossy fad even happened in the first place.

No comments: