Friday, April 13, 2007

TV on a Cell Phone?!

I guess I first really noticed this while watching American Idol on my real TV. They were advertising that you could watch video clips on your cell phone. Lately I've seen and heard commercials for Verizon's VCast videos. They're talking about it like it's the greatest new technology on Earth. Hooray! You can take video with you! See what you can watch 48 hours in advance!

I find the whole thing ridiculous.

Not only are cell phone screens way too small to be useful as a streaming video player but is it really necessary to have video available to you at all times? Has our society gotten so dependent on not being bored that we have to have something entertaining every second of every day no matter where we are? We gotta have iPods in our ears at all time, cell phones that can surf, IM, and play videos, GameBoys and PSPs to play games, and Blackberrys so we can do business anytime anywhere. Ever wonder why, as a society, our attention spans are getting shorter and we seem to have much less patience?

I don't. We're training ourselves.

No comments: